Ohio winter is on it’s way, here’s a few winter car care tips for keeping your car in tip-top shape during the cold and snow:
- Test Your Car Battery! Did you know According to AAA, if your car battery is three years old or older, it is at risk for failure?! Both the heat and the cold can drain them. Check it and replace now if necessary before you get stranded in a cold parking lot.
- Check Your Tires. It’s important to check your tire pressure often. Under-inflated tires can wear down long before they should and lose traction. It’s also a good idea to switch to winter tires to get even better traction during snow and ice storms.
- Keep Your Gas Tank Half Full. What if you get stuck in the snow, or your commute is taking quadruple the normal time due to icy roads? You’ll be glad you had enough gas to make it where you need to go.
- Replace Your Windshield Wipers. Make sure these are in good condition for driving while it’s snowing. Cold weather can take the life out of wipers quickly, so keep an eye on them. Plus, raising them when you know it’s going to be icy will prevent them from freezing to your windshield.
- Check Your Lights. During the winter months, it’s darker for longer and you’ll use your headlights more often than not. You don’t want to get stuck driving at night in the snow with only one headlight.
- Check Your Brakes. This is especially important in the winter. Making sure your brakes are in good working condition will help you when it comes to braking in snowy condition or heavy traffic. Make sure to check your brake lights too – you’ll want the driver behind you to know you’re slowing/stopping!