Marine Audio Systems
Why Marine Specific Audio?
Unlike the speakers, subs, and amps that make up car audio components; marine equipment has to be able to stand up to the elements. The water, salt, and sun that make cruising around the waves so much fun can also wreak havoc on your electrical components. Your audio gear won’t last very long if it isn’t designed to withstand this sort of abuse.
There are several types of weather protection typically found in marine audio gear:
- Water Resistant – Can handle splashes and light rain, but still not built to handle submersion.
- UV Resistant – Designed to withstand the sun. Found on receiver faceplates, speaker cones, and grilles.
- Waterproof – Able to be fully submerged. The depths and amount of time underwater may vary by manufacturer.
- Anti-Corrosion – Specifically designed to resist rust and the corrosive effects of salt water.
Marine Audio Components
- Receivers — You’ll want to buy a radio with a coated circuit board, a water-resistant faceplate, line-level outputs for sending signals to an external amplifier, and possibly satellite radio controls. A weatherproof faceplate cover and a watertight remote control are great accessories to add on.
- Speakers — Look for plastic cones (such as polypropylene) and rubber surrounds for maximum weather protection, corrosion-resistant mounting hardware, and enough power to hear your tunes over wind, water, and engine noise.
- Amplifiers — You’ll want coated circuit boards, plated non-corrosive connectors, and plenty of power.
- Subwoofers — Look for plastic cones and rubber surrounds for maximum weather protection.
- Satellite Radio — Satellite radio is becoming an increasingly popular marine audio component, because satellite radio reception extends up to 200 miles off shore. Even better, plug-and-play satellite radio tuners can be transferred from car to boat to home. Look for a marine kit for your plug-and-play tuner, including a marine-rated satellite radio antenna.
Unlike most vehicles, there isn’t one ideal place to install audio equipment in a boat. Given the various power and space limitations, each installation presents a unique set of challenges. Getting your marine audio system installed at Columbus Car Audio & Accessories will give you the peace of mind that comes from our more than 35 years of mobile audio experience, along with our lifetime workmanship guarantee.